Shift Long Beach
The problems we address are situated locally in Long Beach—we uniquely address the convergence of social, ecological, economic, and spiritual crises that we feel have been propagated by systems of control that seek to isolate residents. We think that recognizing that we are at a unique juncture in human history, facing crises that have never existed before—and that these challenges are opportunities for transformative change.
Shift Long Beach's mission is to create positive social change in Long Beach through educational, interactive events and media.
We typically address the convergence of environmental, spiritual, economic, social, and spiritual issues in our city and encourage diverse perspectives to gain understanding of these complex issues.
Our events create a platform for local activists and artists to voice their perspective, and connect with others who share similar concerns. In doing so, we dispel the myth of isolation and connect folks to each other, as well as a larger global network of visionary thinkers through The Evolver Network.
Shift Long Beach Programs
We are currently planning an event for April 6th centered around the theme of Aspirations, and are in the early stages of planning a weekend-long series of events in mid-June around the theme of the city as an interconnected organism / web of creativity. We are securing a venue and aim to have the details confirmed for April 6th by March 18th, and aim to have the June events locked down by May 1st. We aim to have a themed event at least quarterly in the coming year.
We are also looking toward making more independent media, and are beginning training with PadNet to air educational media on Charter.
- Produce 4-6 media shorts that air on public cable
- Produce 4-5 salon-style events that draw about 20 people each
- Produce 2 events that draw 75-200 people
- To incubate new ideas and projects that come up as a result of our salon-style events
- To increase awareness about food security, ecological and economic alternatives
- To make residents feel that they have more power over their sustainability and happiness
- To facilitate cultural exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives